Guest Blogger: Hesters Handmade Home - DIY Memphis Style Ceramics
Hi there, I'm Hester, creator at Hester's Handmade Home! I'm super excited to be featured on the Creative Rox blog, showing you how to upgrade some plain ceramics into something fun!
Be inspired by the bright tones of the Memphis group and scribble all over your bowls! All you need are your Sizzix permanent markers, a plain serving plate and an oven.
- 12 Pack set of Sizzix permanent markers
- Serving platter and bowls, best in white (mine are Wilko)
- Pen and paper
- Practise plate optional
How to make it:
1. Sketch out your design on a piece of paper and try out which colours you want to use. You can follow my design or come up with your own. I also used a spare plate to check out the colours of my markers, to see which colours show up best on my ceramic plates/bowls.
2. Starting with the serving tray, with your grey pen (BG9) draw the outlines of your design, let dry for 15 minutes.
3. Fill your shapes with colours, you will notice the colours will run a little bit giving you almost a water colour effect in the larger pieces. You can give the outlines another layer of grey for a stronger effect. I also run the grey pen over the rim giving a nice bit of contrast to my design.
4. Decorate the bowls in a similar way.
5. Let your serving plate and bowls dry for at least an hour and place in a cold oven. Switch the oven on to 175C (350F) and once the temperature has been reached set your alarm to 30 minutes. After those 30 minutes switch the oven off, open the oven door slightly and let the serving plate and bowls cool down. You can repeat this baking process to fully ‘cure’ your design.
- You can eat out of a bowl that only had the outside decorated.
- You can serve dry goods from the decorated serving plate like biscuits.
- You can’t eat from a marker pen decorated plate, they will be purely decorative.
- Wash decorated items by hand (never dishwasher!) and don’t use a scouring sponge.