Guest Blogger: Flo & Dot - How To Make A Crochet Egg Cosy
Hello! It’s Sarah-Jane from Flo & Dot. I was really excited when I was asked to be a guest on the Creative Rox blog. This is the first of my two blog posts sharing a fun crochet project with you.
Cold mornings are better with a hearty, warm breakfast inside you. Boiled egg and toast soldiers is a favourite of mine from my childhood. But don’t forget those eggs need to be kept cosy too. Here is the perfect recipe for some cute little egg cosies.
What You Will Need To Make Them:
- 3.5mm Hook
- 35mm Pom Pom Maker
- DK Cotton Yarn in six colours (1 ball of each in 25g or 50g balls) - I used pastel shades in blue, peach, lilac, yellow, pink and green
- 3 Boiled Eggs and Egg Cups
Within my instructions are some abbreviations, below are what they mean in UK crochet terms. You can find more of these over on the Creative Rox 'What Is Crochet?' blog post.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- st - stitch
Before I start, here's a tip you'll need to adopt as you're going along: When changing colour, use the new colour for the last yarn over hook of previous stitch, keeping yarn on the wrong side of your work, drop yarn not being used and pick up again on the following row.
Instructions On How To Make Your Own Egg Cosy
1. Using blue make 9ch, join peach when making last yarn over hook of 9th ch, using peach make 7ch (16ch)
2. Row 1: Using peach, dc in second ch from hook, 5dc, using blue 9dc, turn. (15dc)
3. Working in back loops throughout
4. Row 2: Ch, using blue 9dc, using peach 6dc, turn.
5. Row 3: Ch, using peach 6dc, using blue 9dc, turn.
6. Rows 4 to 29: Repeat rows 2 and 3 to end.
7. Fasten off.
8. Sew panel together along short edges, joining row 1 to row 29.
9. Gather the top of the hat together with a length of yarn and weave in ends securely to ensure it doesn’t come undone.
10. Using peach make a pompom, trim to neaten and sew securely to the top.
11. Fold bottom edge of hat up 1cm.
12. Make 2 more bobble hats in lilac and yellow and pink and green.
13. Place on boiled eggs to keep them warm and cosy.
I hope you like them as much as I do!
I'm Sarah-Jane the designer behind Flo & Dot.
I would love to see your makes, so make sure you tag me in a post on Instagram. You can find me @flo_and_dot.